Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Westward American Road Diary: Albuquerque, New Mexico


"Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see the shadow." - Helen Keller

Albuquerque, New Mexico, had a relaxed tone right away. We arrived Saturday evening, and even the Southwestern-decorated airport was inviting. Everyone was just so friendly (even the pets!) Maybe their souls haven't been sucked away by a maddening weekday commute complete with sick bus passengers with coughing attacks, broken down buses and massive overcrowding.

I read about Cinnamon Morning Bed and Breakfast in a borrowed copy of my friend's Frommer's guide, and found a gem. Cozy bed! I love sleeping.

I made fast friends with Casper, who jumped right into my lap. I love that he's a rescue dog, and am an advocate of adopting companion animals.

Chai tea, orange juice and scrambled eggs with Southwestern fixings: salsa with avocado, cheese and quite possibly the best tortilla I've ever eaten. Steve and the other guests partook in the chicken enchilada bake, not suitable for vegetarian me.

Someone looked quite eagerly at my breakfast plate.

This bird display on the sunny, colorful patio pleased the eye and soul.

A church in Old Town.

At a gallery in Old Town. I love the artist community here and throughout New Mexico. Support art!

I wish we would have had more time here, but if you have an alien-obsessed loved one who tries to work in the latest episode of Ancient Aliens into every dinner party conversation, your next stop can only be one place: Roswell.

4 comments:

  1. Catherine what beautiful photos capturing the sunlight and the inner light too. Thank you for sharing these from Albuquerque, New Mexico, bringing brightness to a rainy NYC day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! It set such a great tone for the trip. Spirited conversation with fellow guests about the path of our country, delicious food, the healing touch of companion animals, and much-needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable doggies!
    I was here for the big balloon fstival - quite a scene too.
    Your breakfasts are driving me CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little chiens just like you'd see in Paris. ;-)

    I asked Steve what his favorite breakfast was and he said here, and I think so too. But they were all delicious and a real treat. I just love bed and breakfasts. I'd love to see the balloon festival. New Jersey I think has one. In my own home state and I don't even go!

    ReplyDelete